- The Times of Sri Lanka (TSL) Tel: 416-445-5390
- www.timeslanka.com is a wholly owned Canadian site managed from Toronto! It's tag line is, "What Matters To You, Matters To Us".
The Times of Sri Lanka was launched in August 1990, in Toronto, Canada. It was the second unique ethnic newspaper in English, behind LankaNews – to serve the emerging Sri Lankan expatriate community in Canada. The initiative was the brainchild of entrepreneur Upali Obeyesekere, who had just left a lucrative career with IBM Canada Ltd., where he was gainfully employed in Toronto for 17-years. Joining him as Editor of the tabloid was none other than veteran journalist Kirthie Abeyesekara. The Advertising Manager was Roy Alles – another management professional who worked for Grants Advertising in Sri Lanka. Circulation Manager was Benito de Silva and Graphics Consultant was Tony Hopman, a creative artist who had worked in many advertising agencies in Colombo, Sri Lanka. Kris Pullenayegem, better known in Colombo theatre circles was a columnist while a few noteworthy journalists from Sri Lanka were also enlisted to send in news items that were topical and interesting to the discerning readers. Upali Obeyesekere was Managing Editor of The Times of Sri Lanka.The launch in August 1990 of The Times of Sri Lanka was quite auspices. Kenneth Hannibelsz – who made his name in the 50s and 60s in Colombo and better known in Sri Lanka in the Hospitality/Travel trade and former Sri Lanka Cricket Captain Duleep Mendis were holidaying in Toronto at the time and graced the occasion. About 150 distinguished guests from the Sri Lankan community assembled at the Managing Editor’s office on Nashdene Road to welcome the first issue of The Times of Sri Lanka. At short notice, short eats such as cutlets, mutton rolls, sandwiches and cake were prepared by the ladies. Kris Pullenayagem and Upali Obeyesekere addressed the friendly crowd and explained their objectives in starting the paper. Rest is history. Sadly, Kirthie Abeyesekara and Roy Alles are no more having passed away in Toronto. Tony Hoffman returned to Sri Lanka.Moving with the times, it was felt that a digital online e-magazine would fill a niche market of Sri Lanka expatriate community throughout the world. With this in mind, in August 2010, Upali Obeyesekere came up with TradeWinds e-Magazine that is published by The Times of Sri Lanka. A visionary, Upali believed in the potential for a digital online publication that could be sent online within a matter of minutes across all borders to reach a global readership.The original mission was to create a quarterly digital publication to highlight trade, investment, travel, banking, economy, tourism, industrial development and technology transfer between Canada and Sri Lanka. The first two issues of the e-magazine were so well received and spurred by its success, Upali decided to publish monthly from January 2011. It retrospect, this was a prudent decision as TradeWinds e-Magazine has a huge readership today not only in Canada and Sri Lanka but also among Sri Lankan expatriates in the United States, Australia, New Zealand, The Middle East, U.K., and the European Union. Circulation is estimated to be over 20,000 globally.Taking the project to another dimension, Upali launched a website www.timeslanka.com for The Times of Sri Lanka, publishers of the TradeWinds e-Magazine. Using his IBM technical experience, the editor adapted the role of web developer and designed a super site that is informative and professional. The site is a "work in progress" and Upali is constantly looking for new technology that will enhance the site for the viewing pleasure of Canadians of Sri Lankan Origin (COSL).Profile of Managing Editor Upali Obeyesekere
- UPALI OBEYESEKERE RECEIVES DIAMOND JUBILEE AWARDOn November 6, 2012, Upali Obeyesekere was the proud recipient of the prestigious Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Award bestowed by the Governor General of Canada in recognition of his commitment to excellence and his contribution to Canada, since immigrating in 1974. The medal, created in 2012 to mark Queen Elizabeth II's 60th year on the throne, honours Canadians who have made significant contributions to their country or achievements abroad bringing credit to Canada.Details of Diamond Jubilee Award presentation – download this document:
- Upali Obeyesekere was a proud recipient of Peterite Honours on February 13, 2016.St. Peter's College held their "Peterite Honours" ceremony in Colombo at the auditorium. One of the recipients of the award is Upali Obeyesekere, in the Trade & Commerce category. Upali received his entire high-school education at St. Peter's College. He is Managing Editor, The Times of Sri Lanka. Read all about it by downloading the link below.
- Telephone: 416-445-5390 (Toronto, Canada)
- E-Mail (Personal) email@example.com
- E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: www.timeslanka.com